30 April 2012

Jamboree Weekend Activity. Whoa. This is So Cool!

We are lucky to have family members who willingly (or maybe begrudgingly) tag along to genealogy events like Jamboree. They aren't interested in genealogy but they support our never-ending search for "just one more" one document, photo or web search.

This year may be the year to reward them with something special that is uniquely Southern Californian.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA, is holding an open house the weekend of Jamboree. Open house hours are Saturday and Sunday, June 9 and 10, from 9am to 4pm.

Quoting from the website, "The annual Open House at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., welcomes over 38,000 visitors. This year's theme is "Great Journeys," inviting visitors to share in the wonders of space through high-definition and 3-D videos, live demonstrations, interactions with scientists and engineers, and a first look at JPL's new Earth Science Center."

JPL is an easy 20 to 30-minute drive from the Marriott.  Information on the Open House is here.

Is someone in your party interested in visiting JPL? Post a reply to this blog post and maybe we can help you put together an informal side trip for the "genealogically tolerant."

Thanks to Susan Kitchens for tweeting this!

1 comment:

Susan K said...

Three things:

1) Glad you're running with my twitter comment and Thanks for pointing this out to the world at large. I think it's so cool that this is a visiting spouses/family members do-something-cool option.

2) I told my boyfriend (who works at JPL) that Open House is same weekend as Jamboree. He says, Oh good, I can WORK the Open House, then. (i.e, he and I won't be going there together). Nice to know, eh?

3) Since I'm using my telescope to look at Saturn these nights (so. freaking. cool) I just looked up the sky conditions during Jamboree, and Saturn and Mars will be in the night sky during Jamboree. So now I'm considering schlepping my telescope to the venue for one night's viewing. After all, obsession with ancestors doesn't preclude taking part in the coolness of the night sky, eh? :D